great smoothie recipe

Protein in the morning -- gosh, just eating breakfast -- is huge.
I've watched what a difference eating protein for breakfast and those first few snacks (and lunch) really makes.  The more protein and the less sugar I consume, the less sugar I want and the healthier I am.

I have been through several protein powders.  The best tasting was HerbalLife's vanilla.  However, it's soy based and I'm not supposed to have a lot of soy, so that's out.

I'm now using a rice based protein powder to help with the cleanse.  It's not great, but now that I have this smoothie recipe - it's actually pretty tasty!

1 scoop protein powder
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ice (optional)
1/2 frozen banana (be sure to peel before freezing)
2 frozen strawberries
handful of blueberries

BLEND WELL

Enjoy!!

The OJ makes this recipe.  I've had other smoothies using water and they were... icky and not to be repeated.  If I am going to use a smoothie as a meal replacement, it should taste decent, don't you think?  I don't want to live a life with icky tasting food and I don't think that is what is necessary to lose weight - though there will be some adjustment.  (see sugar issues--Choc Choc Chip Haagen Daz anybody?)

The frozen fruit and addition of 1/2 banana also make it thick and not watery.  I usually eyeball the ingredients.  This makes about 12-13 oz. (I only know that because of the disposable coffee cup I use at work.)

I have a blender at work.  I bring a stash of frozen fruit and OJ in and replace as necessary.  I also keep protein powder at work (as well as at home) because I'm terrible (terrible) at planning things for myself to eat and end up scarfing down copious amounts of peanut m&ms and other such evil because I've not eaten and now I'm famished!  I close the kitchen door and blend away - it is fairly loud.

Years ago when I was doing HerbalLife, my friend used to blend 2 shakes for herself and bring one with her.  She would keep it in a shaker and put it in the fridge.  She said they were fine.  So I'm sure that's another option.

My next goal is to find a peanut butter smoothie recipe that won't be 1000 calories (see Jamba Juice Peanut Butter Smoothie for an unsettling experience).

0 comments:

Post a Comment